Joe O’Brien Welcomes Planning Enforcement on Operation of North Runway
2nd November, 2022
Joe O’Brien TD has today (Wednesday 2nd of November) welcomed the issuing of a warning letter by Fingal County Council to the Dublin Airport Authority in relation to the operation of the new North Runway.
Commenting on the enforcement action, Joe O’Brien said:
“Since the beginning of the operation of the new runway in August, I have received numerous complaints from members of the public about a huge increase in the levels of aircraft noise they are experiencing. This noise seems to be far in excess of what was anticipated from the conditions attached to the use of the runway as part of the planning process.
“Aircraft noise is not just a nuisance to effected people, it is also a public health problem that can cause a host of negative effects when people are unable to sleep adequately in their own homes. This is something that I have repeatedly sought to highlight in my planning submissions on the operation of the runway.
“It’s positive that Fingal County Council have issued this warning letter, but this must be followed up on actively so that this issue is not allowed to carry on for those who are being impacted.”
The warning letter outlines several areas where unauthorised may be taking place, including:
- Development not being carried out in accordance with the plans and the Environmental Impact Statement lodged with the application
- Development not operating in accordance with the conditions attached to the planning permission
- Aircraft flight paths not operating in accordance with the permitted flight paths
- Runways not operating in accordance with permitted mode of operation
- Noise being generated by aircraft movements not in accordance with planning permission
- Non-compliance with the scheme for voluntary noise insulation of schools arising from non-compliance with the permitted development
- Non-compliance with the scheme for voluntary noise insulation of existing dwellings arising from non-compliance with the permitted development
- Non-compliance with the scheme for voluntary purchase of dwellings arising from non-compliance with the permitted development
- Non-compliance with compliance submission related to Condition 7 of ABP Order PL06F.217429, Register Ref. F04A/1755 which requires that “Certificate of completion under the Building Regulations” and “Opinion on compliance with the Project Specification” be provided by DAA